Monday 29 September 2008

... Dedication

We have no way of knowing where our path will take us, and any map we claim to possess will be proved of little use as the journey progresses. We will learn that however we regard it, and whatever the information it contains, as a map it is of no help to us as it shows only where we have been. Our present inevitably lies at the very edge of it, and we must learn the dangers of trying to anticipate what lies beyond. If our path is the right one it will take us closer to our destination, we may count on that, but whether by comparatively direct roads or by long and arduous paths we cannot know. Somewhere along the way the going will be hard; each of us will have our desert to cross, maybe briefly but possibly for long periods during which we may struggle to maintain our hope and trust in God’s word to us. We can fall into a wasteful and unfruitful waiting in the middle of nowhere, and whether contentment or discontent be the underlying feeling in our hearts, we run the risk of lingering long enough for the restful mood to soak deeply into our spirit, damaging both our receptiveness to God’s word and our ability to discern the need to move on. The end of Robert Frost’s poem, ‘Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening’, conveys a similar imperative in the physical world but carries a haunting echo of the ongoing drive to continue the spiritual journey beyond all distractions, however beautiful, however heartfelt, however filled with questions and answers.

‘The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.’


In thinking of my own tendency to become too settled in the wordy distractions of reading, writing and associated thought, I have described it as growing ‘too comfortable with the inner hearth of home.’ As soon as I had used the word ‘hearth’, it struck me just how important the other one is – the hearth of our physical home – for the maintaining of the fire deep within ourselves. Without the feeling of warmth, permanence and security (which in the overall scale of things is false) provided by my home and family I do not believe I would have progressed to where I am today on my spiritual journey. But even those same solid foundations for my life, while having been a substantial part of the rock upon which I have built my version of myself, must be cut adrift if I am to truly continue my walk with my Lord; if I am to be remoulded not as I see myself but as the person God sees in me. It is not in fact that they must be cut adrift, for the solidity and sense of security will remain; they are my well prepared base-camp and it is that reliability and permanence which enables me to drift further than I otherwise could in complete safety. I am the one whose tether needs to be severed so that I can reach still further towards my goal. This sounds very selfish and inconsiderate, but while the separation is in reality almost non-existent and should not be taken as being any form of walking out on one’s loved ones, which it certainly is not, there is an aspect of such cutting of ties and of any deep focussing on the path ahead that is presented to us by Jesus Himself.
.
‘No one who prefers father or mother to me is worthy of me.
No one who prefers son or daughter to me is worthy of me.
Anyone who does not take his cross and follow in my footsteps is not worthy of me.’
(Matthew 10:37,38)

Each of us is called to this form of separation: this level of faith and love that places Jesus above all else in our lives. However great a man we may regard Him as having been, if we do not go beyond that human regard to the belief that He was and is the Christ, the fulfilment of prophecy and the anointed one whose life began a transformation of mankind through redemption, we shall forever fail to love Him as we should, and we shall forever lack the desire to follow Him to the ends of the Earth and beyond.
It is the desire to follow that enables the following; it is the love for Him that keeps our focus upon Him as we follow, enabling us to turn away from all that would otherwise hold us back and distract us along the way. The further we walk with Him the less probable it becomes that we shall ever be left behind. We reach a point in our encounters where we no longer join the crowds for a while to see what He is doing or to hear what He is saying, only to return home later in the day until such time as He may pass our way once more. When we finally find it impossible to turn back as evening closes in, being drawn instead into the smaller, closer and more intimate group of true followers, we shall at last understand our progression from lonely outsider to questioning watcher; from solitary seeker to one who is recognized by others; from acquaintance to companion to friend; and from the warmth of a friendship inseparable from the presence of Christ, we are drawn into close fellowship with others. We are now ready for the real journey to begin.
We may venture to the very edge but no longer merely to find hints of warmth or light, or to feel exuberance or trembling, or to confront the darkness or apparent emptiness, but to reaffirm our willingness to follow into the unknown that lies beyond; and then to follow word with further deed.

‘... we are but faint hearted crusaders, even the walkers, now-a-days, who undertake no persevering, never-ending enterprises. Our expeditions are but tours and come round again at evening to the old hearth side from which we set out. Half the walk is but retracing our steps.
We should go forth on the shortest walk, perchance, in the spirit of undying adventure, never to return; prepared to send back our embalmed hearts only, as relics to our desolate kingdoms. If you are ready to leave father and mother, and brother and sister, and wife and child and friends, and never see them again; if you have paid your debts, and made your will, and settled all your affairs, and are a free man; then you are ready for a walk.’ (Henry David Thoreau. Walking.)


We have gained our freedom. We know the one who leads, and we await His word. We are ready to follow.

About Me

Who I am should be, and should remain, of little consequence to you. Who you are is what matters; who you are meant to be is what should matter most to you. In coming closer to my own true self, I have gradually been filled with the near inexpressible: I have simply become "brim full", and my words to you are drawn from those uttered within myself, as part of an undeniable overflowing that brings a smile to my every dusk, and to my every new dawn.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

hit counters
Cox Cable High Speed

St Blogs Parish Directory
CatholicBlogs.com
Religion Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Religion Blogs - Blog Top Sites Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory Religion and Spirituality Blog Directory See blogs and businesses for United Kingdom