Friday 16 October 2009

Available to all


Since making the decision to set up and convey my thoughts via this blog, I have become increasingly aware of coming across thoughts from other people that support my own way of thinking after I have committed my ideas to the written page. Instead of raising doubts over whether or not the ideas are truly my own through being read or heard before writing, they have provided me with a welcome and strengthening form of confirmation that what I am doing is worthwhile and, in general, in line with what I believe to be the truths that I allow to govern my life.
This has been highlighted over the last few days by a series of apparent coincidences that have supported my decision to pass thoughts on to someone for whom life has not been going smoothly. I have referred to a brief contact with the people most immediately affected by this situation, and since that meeting, despite not really knowing the nature of the problems, I have been pressed by an urge to make known to them what my own thoughts are. At the same time however, I still have an underlying wish to remain anonymous, not for any particular reason, but – as I have said in my profile – because it really does not matter who I am. Nor have I hurried to make known to people I know that I am writing here; if they happen to come across my ‘Soliloquy’ and then realize who I am, that is fine, as would be their spreading of that knowledge to others, but I do not seek their attention, their praise or their comments on what I am doing. I am here for whoever may cross my path, and for those who, in crossing, may glance at what is written here. If just one person finds what they read to be meaningful and of real help to them, then I thank God for it, and I am content.
But having experienced the prompting to offer my thoughts, I know it would be a failure on my part if I did not respond. It is part of the ongoing multiplicity of chances to respond to God’s desire for us to act when asked to do so.
I do feel somewhat confused over my decision to maintain anonymity when I am in fact well known to the people in question, but the chances are that I shall be ‘discovered’ and recognized before too long.

For the most part, I am happiest when unobserved and out of mind. I am just another ordinary man who has had the good fortune to fall into the hands of the living God; a nobody who has
learned that every ordinary person, every nobody, is in reality an extraordinary daughter or son of God, loved, valued, and graced with a potential for good in this world that is far beyond their comprehension.
I have been too timid to write or phone directly, primarily because I do not know what is the right thing to do, but this space on the internet allows me to say what is in me to be said without editing to suit the anticipated – or more accurately, the guessed at – responses, and in a manner more likely to speak to people in general rather than to a particular soul.

An excellent example of the affirmation I have received from other sources over recent weeks, is a website I came across for the first time yesterday. It struck me at once because the theme for the day (15.10.09) was ‘Resolving your problems’, and on reading through the quotations used in support of that theme I felt they would speak to the heart of the particular person I already had in mind. More than this, however, the stated belief that God calls out to all people, not only Christians, and that ‘inspiration can be found in all spiritual faiths’, echoes my belief that the Church as we know it (both as Christians, and more specifically, as Catholics) has boundaries that extend far beyond the limits of our restricted and regimented thinking.

I do not make a habit of promoting other websites – we have to make our own ways through the immense variety of viewpoints available – but this may be of interest or of value to you, and therefore becomes only the fourth such link I have provided here. There are of course many wonderful places to visit, but with a little thought most of these can be found easily; it is the comparatively unknown, unsung, and unsuspected sources of inspiration that need to be pointed to for the sake of those who may seek precisely what they have to offer. This one may or may not be of value for you; there is only one way to find out.
.
...........................................................................http://www.thereligionnetwork.com/index.html
.
It is far too easy for us to believe that those who are not Christians (without venturing into the dreadful disunity which exists between some sections of the broad Christian Church) are beyond the reach of God.
How do we dare believe that God does not reach out to every living person, and to the whole of creation? Nothing, and nobody, is beyond His reach. Banish all thoughts that the Catholic Church teaches otherwise, and read the following passages from the documents of the Second Vatican Council:

‘All this holds true not only for Christians, but for all men of good will in whose hearts grace works in an unseen way. For, since Christ died for all men, and since the ultimate vocation of man is in fact one, and divine, we ought to believe that the Holy Spirit in a manner known only to God offers to every man the possibility of being associated with this paschal mystery. (Gaudium et Spes 22.)

‘... those who have not yet received the Gospel are related in various ways to the people of God. In the first place we must recall the people to whom the testament and the promises were given and from whom Christ was born according to the flesh. On account of their fathers this people remains most dear to God, for God does not repent of the gifts He makes nor of the calls He issues. But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind. Nor is God far distant from those who in shadows and images seek the unknown God, for it is He who gives to all men life and breath and all things, and as Saviour wills that all men be saved. Those also can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience. Nor does Divine Providence deny the helps necessary for salvation to those who, without blame on their part, have not yet arrived at an explicit knowledge of God and with His grace strive to live a good life. Whatever good or truth is found amongst them is looked upon by the Church as a preparation for the Gospel. She knows that it is given by Him who enlightens all men so that they may finally have life. (Lumen Gentium 2:16.)
.

About Me

Who I am should be, and should remain, of little consequence to you. Who you are is what matters; who you are meant to be is what should matter most to you. In coming closer to my own true self, I have gradually been filled with the near inexpressible: I have simply become "brim full", and my words to you are drawn from those uttered within myself, as part of an undeniable overflowing that brings a smile to my every dusk, and to my every new dawn.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.

hit counters
Cox Cable High Speed

St Blogs Parish Directory
CatholicBlogs.com
Religion Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Religion Blogs - Blog Top Sites Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory Religion and Spirituality Blog Directory See blogs and businesses for United Kingdom